Thursday, August 24, 2017

K.T. Daxon

Today on the blog we welcome K.T. Daxon! Her debut novel Down to Sleep will be released January 2018! So exciting! K.T. shares with us insight into why she loves being an author, more about her debut novel and writing style and tips for aspiring writers. I'm so excited for you all to read more about her!
 
Tell me a little about yourself: 
My name is K.T. Daxon (a pen name), and I'm a 34-year-old stay at home wife, mother, and writer.

Why do you write?
I write because my body and mind demands me too. Because growing up, my life wasn't always great or fun to be living in. The safest thing for me to do was to put pen to paper and let out other realities that I didn't get the joy of being in. I write because it's my escape.

What do you love most about writing?
I love that I can create a world or place that I would want to visit and travel to. In doing so, I hope that I can do the same for my readers. In the world, especially this country, depression is at an all time high. Because of the stigma behind it, many people are suffering in silence. I write, to help other's escape, and when I'm successfully able to do that, it's a success. That's why I love to write, to help others.

Do you have a full-time job besides writing? If so, how do you juggle the two?
I consider being a Navy wife and mother as my full-time jobs. While both are difficult and I get paid below even the cheapest minimum wage, I wouldn't trade it. Okay, maybe I would trade it for an easier Navy wife and mom life. But, I also believe we are given our struggles to build us stronger, for something much greater. I don't know what that is, but I'm optimistic. Struggling the three; mom, Navy wife, and writing aren't easy, but I get it done. My kids are at the age where they are somewhat independent, and I've raised them as such. When we go to the library; they play and I write. I multitask like a monster; meaning well. My kids get me, my husband gets me, and my writing usually comes last, but I do the best I can. Lately, I've been trying to shift some things around so that my writing comes higher on the responsibilities pole.

What is the craziest thing you've ever had to research?
In my story, my antagonist tortures a woman (can't disclose the reason *spoilers*) but, he makes her swallow rubbing alcohol. I'm really not sadistic, but I stepped out of my comfort zone. So, had to research the effects of that.

What is your most recent work? Can you share an excerpt with us? 
I'm currently still working on Down to Sleep, my debut novel. I can share the blurb from that book:
A Romantic Thriller following the lives of College Sweethearts, Gabriella Lawsen, and Parker Warrick. When Parker decides to change their future plans together, and not include her, Gabriella finds herself confiding in a new employee at the Lodge, where she lives and works. Landon Marshall comes with his own dark past and is pushed to the limits when four years later, Parker returns to claim his girlfriend and the child he unknowingly left behind. Will Landon wipe his hands and walk away from the second woman he’s ever loved, and the baby he helped deliver, or will he fight for her, to the death?

What are your future writing goals?
I would love to write full time. I currently have ideas for a variety genres of stories. Just a matter of time to get to them all. I think I could very well make a career out of this.

What genre do you most enjoy writing?
I enjoy writing real time, realistic fiction. My current WIP is set in a fictional town but in our reality.

What is the hardest part about writing?
Self-doubt. I say it's the ultimate killer of writer's. The hardest part is squashing that and continuing forward. Only the best writers can do so.

How do you overcome your writing challenges?
My Twitter family is exceptional of giving me the confidence to keep going. I'll share a possible line or two (140 characters, grr) on Twitter and the responses usually give me the boost I need. So THANK GUYS and LADIES!
What is the most important thing about being a writer to you?
The most important thing, getting the story out. No matter if no one reads it or no one likes it. Getting the story out is the most important part.

What are some tips you can give other aspiring authors?
You have been giving the unique desire to develop a world of imagination, in any form, it's your duty to put it out there. Embrace that as a good thing, and give us your best.

What is something you wish you could have told your younger writer self?
Forget everyone else. You aren't doing this for them, but for yourself.

If you could live in any fictional world, what would it be and why?
Hmm, I've seen this question before, and I don't know. Maybe, Divergent before it went crazy? I thought the idea of being separated into classes based on our personalities and morals was an interesting concept. But, I'm weird. Ha!And lastly, is there anything else you wish to share with us before you go?
I just want to take this time to thank you, Rebecca, and my current writing circle for the motivation and joy each of you bring me every day. You are what crushes the self-doubt, and for that, I'm very thankful and blessed.

More About K.T. Daxon:
KT Daxon Head Shot  

K.T. Daxon was born in Tallahassee, Florida and raised in a small fishing community along the Gulf of Mexico. After a few of life’s hiccups, K.T. graduated with a Bachelors in Education Studies from Ashford University. (Yay, student loans).However, instead of using her degree, K.T. married a sweet, and loving U.S. Navy Sailor and started a family. Four deployments, 2 beautiful children later, K.T. realized that it was time to expand her passion for writing. She wanted to move her craft from a hobby to a full-blown career.Over the years, K.T. has accepted employment with a small town newspaper; writing articles for local businesses, and participating in NaNoWriMo which is where her debut novel, Down to Sleep was originally created. K.T. has also dabbled in editing novels for clients on the site, FIVERR.While writing, family and friends are the foundations that hold K.T. strong; she also enjoys photography, reading, supporting other Indie Authors, traveling, and self-educating whenever she gets a free moment.Despite a late start in both the writing and editing world, don’t count K.T. out. She has big things in store, and she can’t wait to share them with you.
 
Author Links:
Website | Twitter
 
Thank you K.T. for letting me host you on the blog today! I'm really excited for K.T.'s debut novel and I for future reads by her! And congrats K.T. on your debut in January.
 
For our readers, I'll leave you with a question. What inspires you to write? Leave your answer in the comments and thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment