Thursday, August 23, 2018

Aspen Kendrick



Check out today's author interview with with the talented duo, Aspen Kendrick! Be sure to find them on social media as well, their links are provided below!

Tell me a little more about yourself:

I am an indie author with a passion for reading!

What inspired you to start writing?

Largely, it was reading. I loved reading as a kid! When I realized that I had my own stories to tell, I began to dabble in writing. More recently, some friends began to read my writing and their interest encouraged me to write more and continue sharing it.

Which teacher was your biggest inspiration and why?

I don’t have any mentor figure who inspired me to write. Aspen is actually two people and we inspired each other with our stories.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

In five years, I hope to have at least five more books out. I would like to possibly be living in Canada and working toward not needing a day job separate from writing to pay the bills.

If you could have one wish, any wish at all, what would it be and why?

I would wish to be a full-time fiction writer, supporting myself without another job while living in Canada. I have chronic illness and need healthcare benefits. In the U.S. I cannot get these without having a full-time separate day job. But Canada provides universal healthcare, and I am a Canadian citizen, so I would like to move back there to live and work as an author.

How long on average does it take you to write a book?

I would estimate that it takes around about a year for me to write a book, including editing.

Are you a plotter or pantser? (Do you like to outline, or do you like to fly by the seat of your pants?)

I am a little bit of both. I’ve been more of a pantser in the past, but recently I’ve found myself utilizing outlines more.

Who is your favorite character that you've ever created?

All of them! Don’t make me choose!

Which character in the literary world is your favorite and why?

I love a lot of characters for a lot of reasons. Magnus Bane from Cassandra Clare’s Mortal Instruments series is a fascinating person with a fabulous personality and many interesting stories to tell!

What genre do you most like to write in?

Fantasy – particularly urban fantasy.

Is there another genre you are interested in trying out?

I am always open to possibilities but right now most of the stories I have to tell fall under speculative fiction or fantasy.

What are you working on now?

About a million threads in a million stories, all clamoring to be told! I am focusing on the second novel of The Death Club series. I am also working on book 1 for the 99% Dark series, which will take place in two separate (but connected) novels.

Can you share an excerpt with us from one of your novels/projects?

An except from The Death Club book 2:

“Why are we here?” Tension gripped him, though he didn’t know why. It wasn’t so very long ago that he had wanted to be locked up there himself.

“I’m not sure. I just had a feeling and was drawn here,” she said – as though that explained anything at all.

“Well, are we waiting for something?”

Ianthe tightened her grip on his upper arm. “I dunno. I can’t explain it.”

Ambrose stopped talking and just listened to the usual sounds of the night surrounding him: the cars passing by on the street, the wind moving through tree branches. The silence grew heavier until suddenly there was a roar of water from all sides. He flinched as droplets hit him.

Crackling magick encircled them, making the hairs on the back of his neck stand up, and the threesome flickered out together.

Do you have any tips for other aspiring writers?

You don’t need permission to tell your story! Just start and keep going.

Is there anything you would like to share with us before you go?

Please feel free to connect with me on Twitter – I love talking to other people in the literature community!



Aspen Kendrick is actually a married couple consisting of Jacob and Anne Fletcher. They met online in 2000 when they were both in their early teens, and have been collaborating on stories in the 99% Dark universe ever since. They currently live in Colorado with their two cats.
To learn more about the creators and 99% Dark, visit them at www.99percentdark.wordpress.com

Author Links:

Websitehttps://99percentdark.wordpress.com/
Twitter: @99percentdark
Instagram: @aspen.kendrick
Goodreads:  https://www.goodreads.com/aspen-kendrick
Amazon Author Pagehttps://www.amazon.com/Aspen-Kendrick/e/B07BT4X85X/

No comments:

Post a Comment