Friday, August 17, 2018

Dana L. Brown




Dana L. Brown, author of the Award Winning novel, Lottie Loser, and the sequel, Call Me Charlotte which won a Gold Medal in Romance! Check out her interview below!

Tell me more about yourself:

I took early retirement from a thirty-two year career in banking to write the book that was burning in my soul! I am a wife, mother, grandmother and National Award Winning Author.

What inspired you to be an author?

I love to read more than almost anything, and about five years ago the idea for a book crept into my head, and I just had to write it.  I really believe all the books I’ve read in my life were my inspiration.

How long have you been writing for?

Just about two and a half years.

How many stories have you written?

I have my two published novels, plus the third book of the series is written, just waiting for publication. Other than that I wrote a story for a writing group about fifteen years ago.

Is writing your full time profession?

If not, what else do you do and how do you manage both jobs? Yes, writing is my full time job.

What is your writing process?

I’m almost ashamed to say that I have no process.  The first book was primarily written in my head before I ever sat down at the computer, and Books II and III came to me as I was writing.

Why is research so important for writing?

I did a lot of research because my protagonist is a product junky, and likes high end clothes.  It was important to me that I was accurate in my descriptions, as well as where items could be purchased.

What is the craziest thing you've had to research?

Fancy shoes! I don’t wear high heels so I had to learn all about them.

How do you create the world you are writing in?

I use an actual place, Anna Maria Island, Fl., because I’m very familiar with it.  I added some places that aren’t real, but tried to stay with real AMI merchants, and restaurants.

How do you pull us in with amazing characters?

The women are a little bit me, with a lot of imagination thrown in. The guys are mostly just my fantasy men, or my book boyfriends.

Who is your favorite character you've created?

I love Charlotte. She’s smart and sexy and kind...she’s who I want to be when I grow up!

What authors inspire you to write?

Liliana Hart, Roxanne St. Claire, Marina Adair are three of my favorites.

What steps do you take in drafting an outline?

Oops! Am I supposed to draft an outline?

What are your top five tips for aspiring authors?

You’re never too old to rewrite your personal story.  Have confidence in your abilities.  Never let anyone try to change your storyline because they think it doesn’t fit some rule. Be grateful everyday for the opportunity to write. Fairytales do come true...believe!

What are you currently working on?

A new book, outside of the AMI Series.  It’s about a woman, kind of like me, who wants to still feel young and desirable, even though she’s past middle age.

Can you share an excerpt from one of your novels/projects?

“I love you Charlotte. I’ve never stopped loving you, and if you will just let me explain everything from the beginning, I know that you’ll understand.”

You could have heard a pin drop the room was so quiet. Charlotte fought for the words to say back. How long she had wanted to hear him say that he loved her, but she couldn’t believe him, she wouldn’t.“Those are just word, Nick, just empty words. Let me tell you what love looks like to me because I had it once, but like all of my bad mistakes, I let it get away.  I had a man, one who was beautiful inside and out, successful and caring, and I gave him all those firsts you wanted so badly. He wanted to take me to New York, even marry me, but I couldn’t, because deep inside I was hoping that by some miracle we’d find each other someday. The funny thing is i didn’t even know it, but Ryan figured it out and it broke his heart.”

“Don’t run out on us again, Lottie,” Nick pleaded.

Charlotte threw in the final blow then. “There is no us, Nick, I don’t think there ever was.  Just a girl looking for a Fairytale, and a guy looking to get in her pants.”

Excerpt from Book I, Lottie Loser.

Is there anything else you would like to share with us before you go?

“Never think you’re not talented or good enough to be an author.  If you can put words onto paper you’re a writer, and that’s the first step to writing your book.”




Award Winning author, Dana L. Brown, went from Bank to Books with her debut novel, Lottie Loser. A long-time banker and graduate of the American Bankers Association School of Bank Marketing and Management, where she earned the distinction of Certified Financial Marketing Professional. She attended Ball State University, and majored in business. The mother of three daughters, she lives with her husband in Indiana, but loves traveling to the laid-back lifestyles on the beaches of Florida. Lottie Loser is her debut novel.

Author Links:
Website: danalbrownbooks.com
Amazon Author Page: Amazon.com/author/danalbrown
Facebook: @DanaLBrownAuthor
Twitter: @DanaLBrownBooks
Instagram: dana_brown_author


No comments:

Post a Comment