Saturday, August 4, 2018

Railyn Stone



I'm very excited to introduce to you all Railyn Stone! Railyn is an author from North Carolina! Check out her interview below and be sure to connect with her on Facebook and Twitter!

How long have you been writing?
I have always liked writing and I started at a young age. I actually wrote a book in 2nd grade, of course it was a short story, but I fell in love with storytelling from there. I wrote for years just on my own, starting and stopping stories and finally finished writing a full-length novel. Once I did, I started querying literary agents in 2008 and learning more about the publishing industry. I participated in a contest for aspiring authors in 2013 and made the top 50 finalists, and that gave me more confidence to keep writing and pursuing publication, which first happened for me in 2014.

Where is your favorite writing spot?
I spend a good amount of time in my office writing at my desk, but I get the majority of my ideas in the shower. I need one of those dry erase boards in there so when an idea pops into my head I can just write it down there. LOL

Tell us a little about your plans for the future. Where do you see yourself as a writer in five years?
I honestly didn’t know I would be at this point in the four years that I’ve been published. I’ve met a lot of great people, authors and readers and I’ve been able to participate in some author events. I would like to have at least two more books published in the next five years and I’d be lying if I didn’t say I’d like to be at USA Today or NY Times Bestselling status or both. That would be a dream come true.

What literary world would you love to visit for a day? 
I think if I had to visit a specific world it would have to be Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland. I love the whimsy of his writing and the imagination that went into creating such a magical world. It would have been fun I think to head down that rabbit hole with Alice.

Any website or resources that have been helpful to you as a writer? 
There are so many websites and resources to help writers such as Publisher’s Weekly and Publisher’s Marketplace, but a lot of the things I’ve used have come from joining groups on Facebook, especially Indie writer groups. I’m a little bit of an introvert and one Facebook page I’ve found extremely helpful with tips on social media is LaShaunda Hoffman’s page. She’s a writer, but also teaches other writers how to come out of their cocoon and become a social butterfly. She has a lot of great tips.

What would you say is the easiest aspect of writing? 
The easiest aspect of writing for me is the freedom to make up my own worlds and escape from reality if only for a little while. It’s one of the most freeing and most enjoyable feelings I get when I’m creating.

Do your novels carry a message? 
I love my family and I feel that family is really important, whether it’s your biological family or a “piece-meal” family. It’s important to stay surrounded and grounded by the people who love you most and I try to put those feelings and influences in each of my books. I also believe that love doesn’t have a color hence the tagline for my first book, The Christmas Tree Guy. You can’t put a color on love. I truly believe that people should appreciate each other for who they are and love them for who they are.

Have any new writers grasped your interest recently? 
I wouldn’t necessarily say new writers have grasped my attention lately, but maybe a writer that is new to me that I’ve started reading is DL White. I’m currently reading her book Brunch at Ruby’s and I’m enjoying her writing style and the rhythm of the book. It has a great flow to it.

Do you have any tips for other writers? 
Write what you like. Write what you want to read and don’t compare yourself to anyone else unless you are writing a query letter. LOL! Seriously, enjoy it and believe in yourself. If this is something you want to pursue, try your best to learn everything you can, but also be open to criticism. Working with really good editors can be an amazing opportunity if you are open to what they have to say. It’s okay to fight to keep your words the way you want them or to keep a scene that you particularly love, but make sure you listen to the editor to see the angle they are coming from as well. It could be the difference in good book and a great one.

Before you go, can you leave us with an excerpt?

Here’s an excerpt from Love and Loopholes my book that will release on August 6th! I’m so excited for everyone to meet Channing and Kirby. I hope you like it.

Handsome wasn’t the word to describe him. She honestly didn’t think there was a word in Webster’s Dictionary, or the Urban Dictionary for that matter, to describe the magnificence that was this creature. He was the epitome of tall, dark and handsome. He was as aloof and debonair as the main characters that graced the television screen in the old black and white movies she loved. The suit he wore fit his agile build.

She quickly turned in her seat and adjusted the gray jersey maxi dress she wore wishing she’d at least taken a moment to excuse herself to freshen up. When he arrived at their table, she looked up and as his eyes locked with hers. She could feel the sweat forming in her hands. She absentmindedly wiped them on the soft material of her dress.

“Kirby, I’d like you to meet the proposition. Channing Lucas, meet Kirby Allen. Your new wife.”

“Excuse me?” Kirby nearly choked looking at Bryant with wild eyes. “Wife?”

“Yes. That’s the proposition.” The look he gave her was as if he’d expected her to know marriage was part of the deal. She’d never imagined that’s what she was there for and her throat tightened. Swallowing hard, she glanced back and forth between the two.

“Hold on a minute. You said I wouldn’t have to worry about money or anything anymore, you never said anything about being a mail order bride.” Kirby shook her head feeling her heart inching its way up to her throat. She had to get a rein on her thoughts and get back to the task at hand.

“Channing is your way of not having to worry about anything. And I promise, you won’t be a mail order bride. I’ll leave you two to talk.” She saw Bryant grin at Channing before he stood and exited the lounge.

She turned to see Channing staring at her and a warm feeling flowed through her body. His gaze was enough to melt away every stitch of clothing she wore and she felt a rush of tingles roar across her skin.

“It’s obvious Bryant didn’t really go into detail about why you’re here.” Kirby nearly dissolved through the floor listening to the honey-coated baritone voice caressed by a sweet southern lilt emanating from the perfect face of Channing Lucas. When he spoke, she caught the slightest glimpse of a set of dimples hiding in his freshly shaven cheeks. Just looking at him she was mesmerized by the blazing swatches of gold in his tiger-eyes.

“Uh, he said I wouldn’t have to worry about anything anymore, but he didn’t mention marriage.” She strained barely hearing her own voice as she spoke. Marriage had always been a dream of hers, but she’d never imagined this kind of scenario. What the hell is going on?

Railyn Stone, author of The Christmas Tree GuyA Secret to Keep, Restored Hearts, and Lest We Aren’t Forgiven lives in North Carolina with her husband. When she’s not behind the screen of her laptop, she’s usually enjoying time with her family. The only child of two educators, she learned early on just how magical words can be.

Author Links:
Facebook: www.facebook.com/railynst
Instagram: www.instagram.com/railynstone
Website: www.railynstone.com
Twitter: www.twitter.com/railynwrites
Email: railynwrites@gmail.com
Amazon Author page: http://amzn.to/1WPuUu2

No comments:

Post a Comment